Wednesday, January 27, 2010

...day by day...

Some of you are really quick and noticed that the title of this post is the same as the title of my blog.  Kudos for you!

I just wanted to share that this year I have really been impressed to just take everything one day at a time, day by day.  It's become my personal montra, "One day at a time." You see, for the first time in my life, I feel like I don't know exactly what this year is going to look like.  I know, I know, the truth is, none of us knows.  Anything can happen at any time, getting engaged, getting pregnant, moving, losing a loved one...sometimes life is unpredictable.  But for the last 5 years, I had a plan, a vision, a goal I was moving towards.  5 years ago I graduated from Baylor and started working at Tallowood as the Preschool Associate.  I had a 5 year plan.  The plan was to get amazing experience, having a boss that had been at Tallowood over 30 years was a good start, and the other part of the plan was to get my seminary degree.  In August of 2005 I started seminary.  In August of 2009 I finished seminary!  Along the way I receieved invaluable experience serving alongside amazing ministers and lay members.  The 5 year plan has come to completion...now what?

Now what?

NOW WHAT?

It had never occured to me that the problem with a 5 year plan is that it must come to an end...and then what?

The amazing thing to me is that I'm not the only one asking myself this question.  A LOT of people seem to be asking me this question. 

"Congratulations on getting your seminary degree, Kasey.  Now what are you going to do?" (maybe my answer should be "Go to Disneyworld!")

"Wow, you've been here 5 years, how much longer do you think you'll stay?"

"Now that you have your seminary degree, aren't you ready to do something else?"

And if you're thinking surely these people are people I'm really close to, think again.  Two of the strangest inquirers are the Head Maintenance Guy and the Off Duty Police Leutinant at Tallowood.  I mean, I know them both, and they are nice guys, but I wouldn't think they would even have another thought about my life after seminary.  I would assume that they would assume that I would stay at my job forever (theoretically).

I'll be honest, a little part of me is offended by so many people asking me this same type of question.  I had no clue that with finishing seminary would come so much pressure about figuring out my new life plan!

Here's the deal.  I love my job.  I love where God has me right now.  I don't know what tomorrow holds, what this year holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.  My life is in God's hands.  I'll be honest, it's not always easy to trust Him fully.  I wish it were.  It's scary not knowing what the next year of my life looks like.  But I know that I wouldn't have it any other way.  He has a plan, and I'm grateful for that.  I must simply wait.  Wait on Him to guide my steps on the path He has set before me.  For you see, the Psalmist says, He is a lamp unto my feet, unfortunately not a spotlight looking up ahead.

One last thing, allow me to clarify.  I'm not saying that my life is going to drastically change this year.  Repeat: I love my job.  All I'm saying is that for the first time in a long time, I don't have a 5 year plan and all I know to do is trust Him day by day as I seek out His will for my life.

The truth is, it's a great place to be, a place that I hope never to grow out of.  It's good to plan, I'm a planner, but it's better to be walking with Him, trusting Him to guide you in His light.

1 comment :

Sarah Beth said...

AMEN!
I've been out of a 'plan' for a while now, and sometimes feel a little lost and like time is just flying by without any signs of productivity on my part, but I'm realizing that just living life as God wants me to is the best plan possible!