Wednesday, April 30, 2008

...one of those moments where I just wanted to disappear...

I wasn't planning on posting tonight, but I HAD to share this story...

I'm not sure how much I've mentioned the cute IT guy at work. He's not on staff at my church, just contracted out to work a few days in our offices. Anywho, he's been around a year or more now, and we're buds...and maaaybe my friends & I joke around about him liking me, how hot he is, etc, etc...ya know, it keeps things lively.

So today, I brought my laptop to cute IT Guy because my javascript has been messing up and I thought he would know how to fix it.

I'm sitting by his cubicle with my laptop on my lap, he's standing over my shoulder. He's helping me find the wireless network, log on, etc.

I told him that my work email had messed up last night and decided to show him what I was talking about.

I sign in to my work email and the FIRST email that is highlighted AND bolded AND the body of the email is showing in the reading pane to the right is from my dear (and now suffering from a black eye) friend, Rebecca (side note: we probably send each other an average of 5o emails a week, you know "wanna go to lunch?" or "coffee?" or "I'm sick of working!" - little one liners like that).

Well with cute IT Guy standing right over my shoulder Rebecca's email's subject reads "quit" and in the reading pane "flirting" - so VERY obviously reading "quit flirting" - lets just say, there's no chance he didn't see it!

I think I froze and kinda laughed awkwardly...this is where I literally wanted to disappear.

I kinda ignored it, trying to switch to another email, but looking SOOO obvious the whole time!

He was the kind gentleman that he is and ignored it!

I'm sure my face was BEET red! We quickly finished our conversation and I left my laptop with him to fiddle around with for a while.

You best believe I didn't want to talk to him for the rest of the day! Of course my gut was to be furious with Rebecca (that was a joke about the black eye), but she didn't know, how could she know he would be standing over my shoulder, and that I would open my email up right in front of him? It just as easily could have been me sending her that email, and her ending up in an awkward situation. So, while I was mortified, I managed to laugh about it and make it a comical story.

Mind you, I'm still embarrassed...but life's short, if we don't laugh at ourselves, someone else will, right?

Hope you enjoyed that anecdote at my expense!

Super Duper: my gift for Lillian arrived today...JUST IN TIME!
Super Pooper: that paper's not going to write itself!

2 comments :

Jen McCrady said...

i would be embarrassed too, and my face also gets very red. :) oh well... maybe he was flattered.

claymonster said...

He oughtta be flattered. That's all I'm sayin'.