Wednesday, December 10, 2008

...family gift exchange...

Most of you probably know that I have 13 people in my family that I have to buy Christmas presents for:

Mom
Dad
Katy (sister #1)
Brent (BIL #1)
Brady (nephew)
Blake (nephew)
Bradley (nephew)
Kristy (sister #2)
Trent (BIL #2)
Ashlyn (niece)
Cole (nephew)
Kelly (sister #3)
Brandon (future BIL #3)

We have thrown around the idea of drawing names, but none of us really like the idea of that. We love buying gifts for each other, but if we did resort to drawing names, how do you do it? Surely my parents wouldn't draw, they would still want to buy us all presents and we would still all buy them presents, and what about the kiddos? Do they draw too? I've heard of some people who draw by generation, so my sisters, BILs and I (7 total) would all draw for each other, and then the 5 kids would draw, but that would still leave my sisters who have kids buying a lot of presents.

So you tell me, how does it work?

Super Duper: IT'S SNOWING!!!
Super Pooper: having trouble registering for classes next Spring

5 comments :

Anonymous said...

Kase, my family has always done it that you set a dollar amount and draw as many names as there are people in your family so that you are giving (and spending) as much as you are receiving. Yes that would leave the sis' with more kids more to buy, but it also reduces the stress on you spending money on everyone. Also, my grandparents always get gifts for everyone and, as we've gotten older, we often gone in together to get my grandparents larger gifts that they want, but wouldn't buy for themselves. That's how we do it, hope your fam can figure out something that works for them!
~liesal

SMT said...

We draw now as well. We just draw our adult names, includng BIL. Still buy our parents gifts, and then the little kids till they reach 18 get presents from everyone. Works well.

ruth.kern said...

My family does the same as Sara's. All the adults draw names and the kids get gifts from everyone until they go off to college.

~The Neaves Nest~ said...

Our family on my dads side, draw names for everyone over 18. Everyone buys for the kids.

claymonster said...

I guess I'll weigh in here as well - we adopted the name-drawing thing a few years back. Adults draw names, everyone gets stuff for the kids, and we haven't come down hard & fast on when the transition occurs for those at or just over 18 -- college kids need everything, so it seems a bit unfair to throw them in the "buy one, get one" pile.
This year we are kind of just playing it by ear due to financial and health issues in the family.