Monday, May 04, 2009

...why today is significant...

I know my last post told some about school, but I just thought I'd update and give the deets.

Today was my last final. ever. I turned in my last paper. ever. I signed up for my last class. ever. I won't lie, it was a pretty amazing feeling!!!

So, here's the situation. I lack 5 hours to get my degree. I'm doing the Internship hours this summer, which is really no big deal because it's just my job and then I will be have all 64 hours come August!!! This is AMAZING!!!

Here's the problem...today was really a huge marker. Last time to actually have to go to a physical class, take a test, etc. So this is reason to celebrate, yes? But I'm not really done, so not totally reason to celebrate.

So then in August when I turn in my journals and evaluations from the Internship, then? then will I feel completion and have cause to celebrate? one would think...

Oh wait...there is no August graduation, so I'll technically be part of the graduating class of December '09, which is fine, but in order to be a part of that ceremony I will have to go up to Ft. Worth and participate in the ceremony there with professors I don't know and students I don't know, plus December is a crazy time of year...none of this is appealing to me.

So then, my next best option is to walk in the Houston ceremony in May...of 2010...yes, that's a year from now. Do I like this option? No! Will I still want to walk a year from now? Who knows? But those are my options and I can just wait and see how I feel and decide later if I'm going to walk in either of those ceremonies.

My real concern...WHEN DO I CELEBRATE??? I'm not kidding. I want closure, completion, celebration, attention (duh), recognition, etc. I'm not ashamed to admit it, this is a huge accomplishment...but do I really have to wait a year to recognize it, and will I even want to, or will I feel silly in a year?

This is my current inner struggle...suggestions?

The Good News: I'm going to Academy/Troy (small town where Kristy's family just moved, close to Temple) to see sisters & kiddos!!!
The Bad News: can't believe VBS is only a month away!!! lots to do!

5 comments :

TheCrazySquirrel said...

I have lots of suggestions. I had the same thing. They decided not to have a summer ceremony that year and I graduated in August. I could come back in December if I wanted too. Here's my suggestion - It's not that big of a deal when you look back on it 3 years later.

Sure it would have been nice, and 20 years from now I might look at a picture and remember it and think "oh yeah, that sure was a long ceremony." Now at the time it was a HUGE deal for me. I fought for 6 months before to try to make them have a ceremony in August like they always had instead of being lazy. But alas, they did not give in to my pressure.

It was anticlimactic, I will give you that. You just turn in your journals, papers, etc...and then walk away. All done. All those years, money, time, hard work...and you just walk out of the building and go home.

But now I don't really care all that much. I mean...I have a diploma, a degree, a job...and I didn't have to buy a "gown" to wear and sit through all the ceremony. So don't stress out to much...when you look back you won't be to sad.

claymonster said...

I say life is short -- celebrate NOW. I'll buy ya dinner to help! C'mon kiddo, this is cool! Congratulations!

Micah said...

You know, I have a hard time feeling sorry for you...

Just celebrate now! You've done an amazing thing. Don't wait for some official ceremony to let you recognize what you have done. Working full-time, and as hard as you do, plus doing school is tough. Congratulations. You've earned to attention and recognition!

abby said...

Yay! How I wish we could be there to celebrate with you! I say celebrate now! Do something fun. This is a HUGE marker in life! And then in August have some sort graduation party/get together when you are COMPLETELY done. Don't wait til Dec or next May. Congrats friend!

Elaine said...

I say plan a big party in August when you are done (and you can give the fam enough warning so that they can ALL be there)!!! Then you can still walk in December or May if you want to and have the parents there, but you still get your party and feeling of celebration/closure when you are actually done! Or just party hardy now, in August and next May...milk it for all its worth (and its worth a LOT, you little seminarian)!