Tuesday, April 28, 2009

...unexpected...

I'll spare you the details, but I have been trying to figure out what classes I'm going to take in the Fall to complete my Masters degree and graduate in December. After a few emails to the Dean, the Houston Administrator guy and the Associate Dean, this is what I figured out.

I only have 5 hours left to complete my degree (this I already knew). But what they told me was that all I have to do to complete those 5 hours is an "Internship" which is my job. This is huge because I thought I was going to have to take 2 classes on Tuesday & Thursday afternoons next semester and drive over to the campus which is on the other side of town 2x a week and be out of the office 2 afternoons a week, which would include missing staff meeting. None of this sounded good. So when he told me that all I had to do was another "Internship" (which is my job), I literally was in shock, just ask Rebecca, I didn't know what to think. I was numb to the idea that I am basically done, the last 5 hours are a formality. Wow. Still sinking in. This means I don't have to sit in another class, take another test, write another paper, do another project, none of it! All I have to do is keep a journal of my work and write a summary paper at the end. Seriously. That's it.

Ok wait, it gets better. I thought I was going to do this next Fall and finish in December, but it turns out that I can do this in the Summer term and BE DONE WITH MY DEGREE IN AUGUST!!! That's HUGE!!!

To say that I'm already planning the party is an understatement!

I am still in a bit of shock. The papers that I have due on Monday are it. The finals that I have on Monday, are it. That's it for the last big push! This semester has been unusually challenging, so I am glad to be ending on this note! Wow. So cool!

I'll be honest and say that I'm scared. I know that sounds weird, what's to be scared about, right? But my plan has always been to get my degree, get some experience, and then reevaluate and figure out life. Not that I have to jump ship the second I get my Masters, but still, I will have completed a huge goal in my life, so now it feels like, "Now what?" The plan was always a 5 year plan to get my degree, and now I'm so close to doing it...what next? Dang me and my need for a plan!!! Maybe the Lord is trying to break me of my need for structure. I guess I'm going to have to lean on Him and let go...we'll see how that goes!

Exciting? Yes! Scary? Yes!

The Good News: besides the obvious? basically done with my big Old Testament paper
The Bad News: been missing my kiddos...haven't seen 'em in over a month!!!

4 comments :

T said...

That is AWESOME! :)

Patterson's said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a fabulous surprise!!!

Elaine said...

YAY!!!!! How exciting! I want to BE at that party!!!

And I am going to call you tonight to see if you can eat lunch with me on Saturday!!!

Kristy said...

That is so exciting! What a great surprise, bet you can't wait to be done!