Sunday, November 08, 2009

...fantasy football...

A few days ago my random fact for the day had to do with the fact that my dad helps me with my fantasy football team. Some of you might be surprised to hear that I have a fantasy football team. I thought I would share with you the progression of how I got roped into this silly little game.

This is actually my 4th season to have a fantasy football team. My old friend Will started a league 3 years ago among the Jr. Staffers (Associates) in the office.

I think the league has usually had 8 teams, 2 or 3 of which were represented by girls like myself, that really don't have a clue about the NFL, certain players, positions, etc. Yet, we chose to participate.

The first 2 years that I played, the only thing I enjoyed about the league had nothing to do with fantasy football. You see, in any Yahoo fantasy football league, each team in the league has a logo for their team. Most people just use the typical football helmet and you can use 2 colors to distinguish your team. But there is another, far superior, option for your logo. You can also create an avatar that represents your team. For those of you who do not know, an avatar is a computer generated character that you can dress up. You can alter the hairstyle, eye color, facial expression, outfit, background environment, etc. There are crazy costumes they can wear, seasonal outfits, pets, sports equipment, etc.

So, for the first 2 years I played FF, all I cared about was my avatar. Each week my dear friend, Rebecca, and I, would dress up our avatar in a new outfit. We barely even knew the names of the players on our teams, but you can rest assured that our avatars looked awesome. Each week would would try a new hairstyle, change our skin tone, add some accessories, whatever struck our fancy that week. Right now my avatar is dressed like a pilgrim with the Mayflower floating behind her.

Last year, for the first time, I actually decided to take slight interest in my team. Don't get me wrong, I didn't put too much time into it, but this guy I knew from college would look at my team for me and make some suggestions about who to play and who to bench, nothing too intense, mind you.

This year, I've gone off the deep end! It all started with the draft. The guy who is now in charge of the Jr. Staff league at Tallowood, insisted that we do a live online draft this year. I was very resistant to this idea, but was forced to get on board. So, I called my dad and asked him for advice on who to draft first, which teams to watch for, which positions to worry about, etc. Well, after I had put that much effort into drafting my team, you best believe I was going to want to maintain my team and be sure that I was playing a solid team each week. And so it began, my dad became my agent. He looks up stuff online about different teams and players. He reads the paper and suggestions on fantasy websites. So far, I've done pretty well. I've had 2 rough weeks where a few of my players just decided to stink it up, but my 6-2 record has me in 3rd place. And actually, I'm watching a game right now, hoping my player does well...what have I turned into?

Side note: my friend, Rebecca, is in first place, 7-1, and she still doesn't care a lick, barely knows who is on her team. They guys hate it that she is winning!

Random thought/fact for the day: Got my haircut yesterday...you know how much I love being pampered!

No comments :