Monday, November 16, 2009

...fun times at the BGCT...

highlights (or lowlights) of my morning spent greeting Texas Baptists at the Baptist General Convention of Texas

First, remember how I had to be at the church at 7am this morning to meet the bus that would take us to the George R. Brown Convention Center? Well, I was nice and on time myself, but 2 of my friends could not say the same. I had spoken with my friend Claire last night about getting to the church on time, so when the bus started to pull out without her, I shouted to LH, the guy in charge, that I thought Claire was still coming. LH said she would just have to meet us there, we were leaving. So I called her to see where she was. She said she was turning onto the street that the church is on. So I told LH, and he said we would wait. Whew, she was cutting it close. But then when she got on the bus she asked where Micah was. We said he wasn't there yet, that he was going to have to meet us at the Convention Center. She called him and he said he was exiting the freeway for the church. LH said we couldn't wait. So we pulled out from the church and passed him at the corner, but there was no going back. He didn't end up coming. Oh, the drama! I don't think he wasn't too happy that we didn't stop for him!

So, we were all given matching white button up shirts with a green Tallowood logo on it. Since I was out of town this weekend, I didn't get my shirt til this morning. Well, I wanted a women's large, but all my friend was able to get me was a women's XL. I was a bit disappointed, but figured it would work. That was until I put it on. Something wasn't right. This thing was H-U-G-E. Oh, wait, it's a men's XL. I'm not kidding. Can you say potato sack? Thankfully, Claire had also picked up a shirt for Micah, who wasn't coming any longer, and he had a men's large. So at least I could downsize to the large. It was still huge, but I rolled up the sleeves and tied a ribbon to cinch the shirt and add a little style. Trust me, it wasn't ideal, but it was the best I could do.

Ok, one more funny story from the day, that may or may not translate well in text, but trust me, it was hilarious at the time. So, as greeters, we were given booklets with all the information we could possibly need if someone asked us a question. My friends and I were stationed by the escalator, sending participants on up to the 3rd floor. Claire had dropped her book on the floor, just inches from her feet. She was sick of holding it, and figured it was fine for the book to just sit on the floor near her. She was wrong. Randomly, as a man is walking past her, he reaches down, picks up her book, takes it and keeps on walking. I'm not kidding. He didn't say a word to her, ask her if it was her book, nothing. Claire was so stunned she couldn't say anything. We just stared at each other trying to figure out if that had really happened, then we busted out laughing.

Other than that, it was just fun to see lots of people I knew from growing up in Corpus. Some of my parent's good friends, former pastors at FBC, Corpus and even my Aunt was there! Super fun!

Random thought/fact of the day: update on my complaint about my iphone cover...they are sending me a new one!!! I'm so excited! I guess it should be here later this week! I'm very impressed with this company!

No comments :