Sunday, November 29, 2009

...Advent...

Today being the first day of Advent, I've been thinking about the concept of Advent.  If I'm being honest, I don't think I've ever really thought much about the purpose of Advent.  Yeah, yeah, I've known that Advent is the season in which we prepare for the coming of our King to the Earth for the first time over 2,000 years ago.  This is a huge deal.  The biggest deal.  So yeah, we need to prepare our hearts to fully celebrate and embrace this momentous occasion.

So, this year, I'm going to make a personal effort to really participate in this Advent season.  Yes, I want to look forward to Christmas, but I also want to experience the preparation to get there.  I love Christmas, I think most people do, but this year I hope to experience it in a new and fresh way.  You know how we always say Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.  Well, I'm going to start saying "Joyous Advent."

Side note: I'm also really excited because I'm already mostly done with my Christmas shopping and am super excited about most of the presents I'm giving.  It occured to me that God must have been even moreso excited about giving us the gift of His Son.  So this year as you give gifts, I hope that you can be excited and can remember what a precious gift that baby boy, God in human form, was to each and every person.

So, Joyous Advent!

Oh, and here's a picture my sister took on Thanksgiving Day.  Man, I really need a camera!



Random thought/fact of the day: I'm speaking in chapel tomorrow at my soon to be alma mater, SWBTS, Houston campus.  It's not a big deal, but if you think about it, shoot up a prayer for me!

1 comment :

Sarah Beth said...

Joyous Advent! Hope the speaking engagement went well today!