Tuesday, November 03, 2009

...returns & exchanges...

yesterday I ventured to the mall to attempt to make 2 returns.

The first return was more of a complaint. 2 months ago I purchased a new cover for my iphone. I am one that is fanatical about protecting my phone and therefore am willing to make an investment in a nice/good/sturdy cover for my phone. Yes, I consider $30 for a piece of plastic/rubber to be an investment. Well, not even 6 weeks after I had purchased said case, it had developed an air bubble and began pealing. I have been fed up with it and frustrated that the $30 case didn't even last 2 months! So, I took my damaged case into the apple store only to be told that since it is not an apple product they can only honor the normal 2 week policy on returned items. If I had an issue with the product, then I should contact the company, incase.
I went home, found the incase website and filed a complaint. I find it is much easier to be irate when typing than when speaking to a sales rep in the store. I heard back from them today, I will admit, I was impressed with their prompt response. They said that I would need to fill out an official product complaint form. I did so, but found out that I would have to have proof of purchase. I had already done a somewhat thorough search for the receipt and had no luck in finding it. But I did remember that apple offers to send you an email receipt. I had opted not to receive that email receipt, but figured they could look it up and resend me the receipt. So you best believe that I got on the phone to the apple store that I purchased the incase iphone cover from, they were extremely helpful and sent me the receipt in no time at all. So, I was able to fill out the form, complete with proof of purchase AND a picture of the faulty case and I'm hoping to hear back from them saying that they will replace the case...I'll let you know how it works out! I don't normally do something like this, so I was very proud of myself for going through all of those steps to see that I get my money's worth!
Return #2 was a sweater that my mom had purchased for me about a month ago when I went to Corpus. When I got it out to wear it a few weeks ago, I found some discoloration around the hemline. I took it back to Macy's to make a simple exchange. Just my luck, I could not find the same sweater. For some lame reason I wasn't in the mood to shop. I had them check the price and one lady told me it was valued at something around $17. I knew we had paid more for it than that, but not much, so I figured if I got $17 back, it was better than nothing. I looked around a few more minutes, but decided I would just get store credit and shop later. When I walked up to the counter it occurred to me that I had probably used my Macy's card to purchase the sweater. A different lady at the counter helping me than before, scanned the sweater and said yes, I had purchased it using a Macy's card and could get a full refund on the sweater. Apparently I had paid $27 for the sweater, with tax, that was $30 refund that was going to go back on my Macy's card. This was working out great...until shortly after the refund was made, it occurred to me that my mom had paid for the sweater and the $30 had just been refunded to HER card...ugh! I just tricked myself out of $30! If only I had been in the mood to shop and had decided to make an exchange rather than a return, then I would have had $30 put towards that purchase as opposed to put back on my mom's card. Dang it, stupid stupid stupid! You best believe I called my mom and told her she owed me $30, even though it was her $30 in the first place...haha, I guess she can just put it towards my birthday present next month!
Random thought or fact for the day: my dad and I talk on the phone more now that he's my fantasy football advisor than any other time in my life! We talk almost everyday about players to pick up, how my team is doing, did I win this week? what is my rank? Just a different way for him to be involved in my life, I guess!

No comments :