Monday, March 08, 2010

...saying goodbye...

I told you a few weeks ago that my boss had officially announced her retirement.  This weekend we took time to recognize and thank her for her amazing 36 years of service as Minister of Preschool Education.

I can't begin to tell you how much I have learned from this amazing woman of God.  She taught me more than I probably even realize.  I am ever grateful to the Lord for blessing me through her friendship and mentorship over the past 5 years.  It is hard for me to think about coming to the office every day and walking past her office with the door closed and the lights off.  Noone to run an idea by, meet with, or brainstorm ideas with.  Needless to say, I will miss her.

We wanted to make this weekend special for her so on Friday night we had dinner with all of the Division Directors.  It was a really special time.  We gave her a picture of all of us and we signed the mat for her to remember us by.  We also had compiled a memory book for her that had pages from Preschool leaders, childcare workers and staff members.  She just about lost it when she saw what it was.  I hope it is a really special keepsake for her.  Then on Sunday evening we had a reception in her honor.  The culinary services director, Jan, and I were in charge of the reception.  It was really fun to get to plan some special elements to this as well.  We had a slideshow going on the big screens of pictures from preschool ministry over the past 36 years.  Here are some pics from the reception.  You can see red & white paper lanterns that we hung, the big screens with the slideshow going, and a table with a contemporary center piece.


close up of a center piece, yes, they were my creation, my momma taught me well

the drink table with a larger arrangement, sorry it's kinda dark

the receiving line, don't miss the giraffe in the background, Susan just recently got it to put in the Preschool lobby, we thought she'd enjoy seeing it at her reception!

me with some wonderful preschool peeps!

I'm grateful that they aren't moving too far away! It's not goodbye, it's see you later!

1 comment :

Jeff and Erin said...

Wow great decor!