Thursday, September 15, 2005

Friends

Friends, well, this may get really sappy, really fast, but I've been thinking about my friends a lot lately, so I thought I would devote a post to the idea of friends.

Friends. Well, in our generation it truly was one of the icon shows that everyone knew and watched at least once. In 25 years we will all still make mention of it, like I Love Lucy and Fresh Prince and MASH. I think that says something about our culture, the lives we live.

We are all dependent on friends. They come and go, enter and exit, but are almost always around. Some are closer than others, both physically and emotionally, some are more attentive than others, some are kinder, but all are present. They say you can pick your friends, and I guess for the most part that's true. Although there are some people you just click with and some people you just don't. But I guess that's how you pick your friends, usually the ones you click with. I like the fact that we don't always click with those who are just like us.

Friends add variety to our life. Some friends are fun and spontaneous, some friends are constant and strong. Some friends are quiet and simple, some friends are loud and complicated. Some friends are irritating, some friends are overwhelming, some friends are sweet and some friends are just plain rude. Some friends are low maintenance, some friends are high maintenance. We need different types of friends at different times in our life for different reasons. God knows your heart and He knows your need and He always seems to provide the right friend for the right time or season.

Michael W. Smith says "Friends are friends forever." While we may not think that is true as often times life moves on and friendships are hard to maintain, I like to think he is right. Friends are friends forever because they impact your life whether or not you like it. You take a small (or a large) part of them with you and that changes who you are. That's why we have to be careful who we surround ourselves with. We will inevitably become like them, so choose wisely.

I want to say that I am extremely grateful for the friends in my life!!! New and old alike. I will forever hold on to my old friends, you all know who you are. Many of you live in different cities, some even far away states, but all of you live very close to my heart. My college years would not have been the same without a single one of you and for that I am grateful. While I tell people that I miss college all the time, the truth is I just miss you guys, my friends, so very dear to me. I guess moving and "growing up" really teaches one to appreciate the friends in her life. In that same breadth I wouldn't still be where I am today without the friends that the Lord has provided since I moved to Houston. God has been so good to me and allowed me to meet wonderful people with whom I can share life with. Of course you never replace friends, you simply add to your collection!!!

Well, I think I'm done being sappy, seeing as how I'm almost all choked up (and I'm sure you all know I don't really cry). This post has been devoted to you, the readers of my blog, my friends for life (wow, just when you thought it couldn't possibly get any cheesier!!) I love you all and hold you very close to my heart. Many blessings upon you. If I ever take you for granted I am sorry, know that I don't mean to and I love you very much! Much love!

Super Duper: it's Thursday, which in my mind means it's the weekend

Super Pooper: spending the evening reading for seminary, when my friends are hanging out watching a movie :(

2 comments :

RES said...

hold on i need to go puke now.

your friend,
riley

Kristy said...

oh my gosh that was great! I wrote him a comment. If you had to have a child out of wed-lock I'm glad it was with him!