Monday, September 19, 2005

My Soap Box

I hope none of you mind, but I'm going to have to get on my soap box today. I spent my day today as I spend all of my Mondays as of late, in class. I start with Systematic Theology at 8:25, then a chapel service at 11:00, then a group discussion class called Spiritual Formations at 12:00, then I wrap up my day with a 1:00 New Testament Survey.

So, anyways, during the 12:00 class we had a guest speaker from the North American Mission Board. They were talking to us about church planting. Which I 100% support, it's a huge need across the states, and I might even be convinced that some day I could do that (Lord willing), but they went about it the completely wrong way!! They repeatedly stated that churches in America weren't doing their part and that 99% of them are dying!! Then they said, "It's easier to give birth than to raise the dead." That's insane. Can you believe that? They talked about all these unreached people groups in Harris County alone. Well, I understand the need, really I do, but I can't forget the fact that Tallowood has 5 mission churches that are all geared towards different people groups. I mean, you can't tell me that we are the only church that has missions for specific people groups. And not to mention the fact that the professor of my New Testament class is the pastor of an International church. You can't tell me that people groups aren't being reached!! I mean, I know there is a need, but they shouldn't discredit what work is being done and what needs are being met. I mean, it was like he thought local churches were completely purposeless. What does he think the churches that they are planting are going to be like? I mean, at some point in time each one of our churches were planted!! UGH!! I'm sorry if I'm not making any since, it just burns me up in side! It's just that this man was completely discrediting the local churches and the ministry that they provide. I mean, yes, we need to plant churches, especially in the North, but we can't all go, or then there will be no one left here. Okay, I'm done, sorry this hasn't been the most interesting post, but the man really made me mad today so I figured, where better to unload about it than on my post.

On the up side, I do really like my classes and my profs. They aren't idiots like this guy was. Seminary is very time consuming and hard to juggle while being on staff full time, but worth it, definitely worth it. I really do enjoy it, as long as I live to see this Christmas!

Super Duper: Kelly's bringing Ashlyn and Brady for Aunt's weekend this weekend :)
Super Pooper: Rita, as in hurricane Rita, may be bringing torrential rain this weekend :(

2 comments :

Videos by Professor Howdy said...


Dear Casey,

You have a riveting web log
and undoubtedly must have
atypical & quiescent potential
for your intended readership.
May I suggest that you do
everything in your power to
honor your Designer/Architect
as well as your audience.

Please remember to never
restrict anyone's opportunities
for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence.

Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
Dr. Howdy

'Thought & Humor'

Kristy said...

It was so so so good to see you! I'm so glad you called and I really enjoyed meeting Riley. I hope he didn't feel left out. He's a cool kid.