Saturday, September 03, 2005

Overwhelmedness

Words don't even begin to describe the massive destruction that the Gulf Cost has experienced this week. It's nothing short of overwhelming. The storm hit Monday morning, it is now 6 days later and there are still people trapped on their roofs. There are still thousands of people in the Superdome of New Orleans that are waiting to be evacuated. It's horrifying to think of what these people have had to go through.



The only cool thing is to think about how the American people have come together and tried to help as much as possible. I don't think that there is anyone who hasn't pitched in. I spent 13 hours yesterday helping set up the shelter at Tallowood Center. It's pretty cool to see the Body of Christ come together to do anything at all possible. I don't even know how many people came to the shelter yesterday to pitch in and drop off clothes, water, food, blankets, toys, etc! It's wonderful and I know the evacuees appreciate it! We had close to 30 people in our shelter last night and expect to reach capacity today or tomorrow. That would put somewhere around 100 people in the space we have prepared.

I turn on the T.V. and I just can't stop watching, but at the same time it's so emotional to see all that those people are going through. They have been separated from their families and are just doing anything they can to survive. I truly can't fathom it, and I believe that it is impossible to "put yourself in their shoes."

Okay, I'll stop, I know it's no fun to have a serious post like this, but it's all that I can think about. I'll do my best to be more cheery next time.

One more thing, I've decided to give into peer pressure and join Elaine and Kristy in their "cheers and jeers" and "woo-hoo and boo", I think I'll call it:

super duper: helping others who have nothing
super pooper: people who have nothing

1 comment :

Kristy said...

I love the new section! Wonderful name too. I feel the same way about Katrina but we are doing what we can. This is the time for America to truly shine by pulling together and becoming one! Love ya girl and miss you.