Wednesday, September 28, 2005

"You look tired"

I mean, seriously, who wants to hear, "You look tired." What do people think you have to gain from hearing those words? Think about it, what good does it do for someone to tell you that you look tired? If you really are tired, then you know it and you don't need someone to tell you that you look as tired as you feel, cause you're probably trying to cover it up as much as possible anyways. If you aren't tired then it's just plain rude, who wants to look tired? What are people thinking when they tell you that? I find it personally insulting and offensive.

For example, a little old lady told me that today and I actually haven't felt better. I mean, what excuse would I have for being tired? I've had 5 days off to play with my family. Yes, it was a busy 5 days, but a great break from work and life! But what was it that made her think I looked tired? Do I have bags under my eyes, was I yawning? Seriously, I had a great, very productive day today, a nice lunch with my little old lady friends...life is good, I'M NOT TIRED!!!

The thing is that this isn't the first time that I've heard this since I moved to Houston. I think it's a new thing for me because in college no one really says that to eachother. I mean, we understand that college kids live in a state of tiredness, and we know we don't want to hear it. But people I encounter in the real world love to tell me that I "look tired."

Sometimes I think it's because I'm not wearing eye liner or mascara, or something to make me just look different and so then people assume it means I'm tired...I'M NOT TIRED!!!

What I'm trying to say is, it would be in your best interest not to tell me that I "look tired." I know none of you would ever dare to, but instead, if someone looks tired, go ahead and tell them they look great! Think about it, if they really are tired, then the encouraging words will mean the world to them, if they're fine, then they'll appreciate the compliment!!

Super Duper: Yummy lunch at Goode Co. Seafood (and I didn't have to pay!!!)
Super Pooper: my left eye is hurting from my contacts again and I don't know why

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with you! It's extremely rude. It's an overt, negative comment about a person's appearance. It's just more evidence of how much this superficial society focuses on looks. I've actually had people argue with me that I "am" tired, even when I say I'm not!! I have to put up with these comments a lot, simply because my eyes tend to get red easily and I have hereditary under eye circles that I cannot get rid of. It's insulting to hear this when I'm well-rested and feeling great. I don't need people telling me that I don't measure up to what they think I should look like. The next time I hear something like this, I'm going to be tempted to say something much ruder back. People never think about their attitudes until they are the ones being scrutinized.