Wednesday, April 09, 2008

...disconnected...

Well, since Sunday afternoon I have had no internet connection at my apartment :(

It's sad to realize how addicted I am to nightly checking my email, facebook and other blogs! Although, it's probably been a good forced retreat.

So here's the story. I got home Sunday afternoon to find that my modem did not appear to be functioning properly and I thus had no internet connection. So I rebooted, unplugged, replugged, etc, when I replugged in the modem...nothing...crickets...dead as a doornail, no power whatsoever :(

So Monday night when I got home, I called AT&T tech support. After having me d0 a number of ridiculous things to prove to him that it was dead, one of which meant plugging the modem into an outlet in the bathroom, the nice tech guy finally agreed and confirmed that my modem was dead and I was going to have to purchase a new one since my warranty was expired.

Here's the conversation from this point on:

Tech Guy: "Ma'am, can you read me the serial number on the bottom of the modem?"

Me: "Sure, its (insert random numbers & letters here)"

Tech Guy: "Ma'am are you using a laptop or a desktop?"

Me: "Laptop"

Tech Guy: "Is the laptop wireless capable?"

Me: "Yes, but the modem isn't, so I use a cable to connect. But maybe now would be a good time to get a wireless modem since I'm going to have to buy a new one anyways. Would my current internet service support a wireless connection?"

Tech Guy: "Um....ma'am...the modem that you currently have is wireless capable, or well, it was, before it died."

Me: "What? You mean I could have been using my laptop through a wireless connection for the last year and a half?"

Tech Guy: "Well, yeah, but now it's dead so it doesn't matter anyways."

So there you have it...my not so brilliant moment of the year! I've been limited to using my laptop on my couch because I thought I had to hook up to the internet, when all this time, I could have used my laptop in my bedroom, at the breakfast table, on the balcony! But no, I'm the idiot that never thought to try and set up my laptop to the wireless connection!

In my defense, I bought the modem about 3 years ago, and the laptop I had at the time was not wireless capable (from the stone ages, I know!), but then about a year and a half ago when I got a new laptop it just never occurred to me that my modem might be wireless...brilliant Kasey, brilliant!

So $100 later and a few days of shipping, I'll have a new wireless modem and soon be able to roam about with my laptop on the internet in my apartment!

Super Duper: Going home for a quick restful trip of shopping, good food, pedicure, eye exam, and picking up my b-maid dress that was getting hemmed for Lillian's wedding!
Super Pooper: I tried to pull together my group of work/church friends for a game night, but it just didn't make. Apparently ministry keeps us all busy! :(

1 comment :

claymonster said...

hmmm... see, this is what happens when you don't call your friends for help.
Hope you're up and running now!