Saturday, October 04, 2008

...spending freeze...

I know...I would have never thought those words would come out of my mouth either! You see, last weekend I was a bit hasty and treated myself a bit much. It started at the outlet mall, then continued at the Baylor Bookstore and the cute little place called Sironia, oh, and don't forget the purchase I made in Salado at The Red Barn...when I got home and checked the checking account...well, lets just say it wasn't pretty. With Christmas on the horizon, I have decided to quarintine my plastic and go on a spending freeze!

Allow me to explain the spending freeze. I will allow myself to buy necessities. Things like make-up, presents for others, that's allowed. Just nothing for myself. I mean food and things at the grocery, obviously, just no clothes, shoes (ouch!), purses, jewelry, etc.

What I can't decide is how long I must enforce this on myself. I was thinking maybe I could go all the way through til Christmas, but Rebecca doubts my self control. She thinks I should allow myself some sort of stipulation, like, I can buy something if it is less than $10. My problem with that thinking is that 1o things less than $10 would add up fast...so justifying that could still get me in trouble.

My question to you...do you think I can do it? Is 3 months too long? Should I allow small purchases as Rebecca suggested? Or maybe one purchase a month?

OK, i'll keep you posted and let you know how I'm doing.

Super Duper: Worship in the NEW WORSHIP CENTER TOMORROW!!!
Super Pooper: apartment is a disaster zone

5 comments :

T said...

Ooo, this is hard. Maybe you could set yourself a limit, like $30 in the next three months or something, and get that out in cash and put in your purse, and you only get to spend that on yourself. You can do it! :)

Jana Pinson said...

ok....my fav restraint.... for Christmas budget or food budget I get one of those reloadable VISAS - put the monthly amount or budget amount on it and when it is gone it is gone. Same thing as the envelope system only way cooler and you can reload it the next month. The cool part too is it will text you your balance everytime you spend so you know exactly how much you have left.

Jeff said...

3 months is not too long. Although I would bet that you couldn't do it! =)

Sarah said...

You can do it Kasey!! I've been on a spending freeze for about a month now, and it's actually going quite well! It's hard at first, but it gets easier!!!

Elaine said...

I would say go to the end of the year but allow yourself a certain amount per month (like $30). You can do it!