Sunday, November 09, 2008

...a love/hate relationship...

I have a love/hate relationship with my philosophy class. I have subtly mentioned this before...complaining about how hard it is. But after 2 months of being knee deep in philosophical issues like "The Existence of God" and "Good vs. Evil" and "The Existence of Evil," I'm beginning to have an appreciation for these concepts.

I know, don't get too freaked out! I still hate the reading and wouldn't ever dream of taking another philosophy class, and for sure not interested in a Masters of Philosophy. But, all that to say, this class has broaden my thinking process, my awareness of people's world views and how they approach the existence of God.

If I'm being honest, I hadn't really ever questioned the existence of God or the existence of Evil. Having been a Christian my whole life, it was something I had always just accepted and taken for granted. I remember being challenged as a High Schooler in my belief of Jesus Christ as God's son...and I thought this was foundational, which it is. But it never occurred to me that people wondered where God had come from, who created God (no one or nothing, He has always been), or why there is evil in our world (God gave us free will in which we then chose sin and evil).
Now I consider myself well thought and well informed. I don't always agree with all the historical philosophers, but I am learning how they thought and the arguments they made.

My concept of God has been challenged in that I always have related him to my human mind and understanding. He is so much more than that. I know He is not restrained by time or space, He is not confined to a human body. While I have always heard these things, it is finally sinking in and I realize how HUGE He is and how small I am! Eye opening to say the least!

Let me tell you the greatest thing I have learned though: IT ALL COMES DOWN TO FAITH! We can discuss the fact that God is and always has been, that God created all and nothing created Him, He is an UnCaused Cause, etc, but at the end of the day it all comes down to faith and you have to choose to believe in God as your Creator, Savior, Omnipotent Being, Benevolent and Just, and choose to serve Him with your life that He gave you!

Sorry if that bored you!

Super Duper: got some reading done this weekend
Super Pooper: still have tons more reading to do!

No comments :