Tuesday, December 08, 2009

...crazy weekend...

Thursday night was the start of the craziness that is Christmas at Tallowood.  Being on staff at a large church, December is jam packed with parties, ornament exchanges, lunches, special music concerts, the list goes on.  Don't get me wrong, it's all really fun, just exhausting! So, last Thursday night was the Ministry Staff Christmas party.  All the ministers & spouses gather together for dinner at one of the ministers' house.  It was super yummy and fun! I love getting out of the walls of the church for a night to just hang out and enjoy eachother's company!

Then, Friday morning I was up early to head down to Corpus.  If you live in Texas, you may recall that the weather was horrific on Friday morning.  I had heard it wasn't supposed to snow til after noon, so I thought I could beat it out of town.  I got on the road a few mins before 8:00, feeling ok about the drive ahead of me.  I had heard on the news that it was already snowing, but I thought if I could just get South of Houston, then I'd be home free....oh how wrong I was! It did stop snowing when I left the Houston area, but about 30 mins later the flurries returned.  They got heavier and heavier.  The grass on the median was covered, I was only going about 35-40 mph...ugh, slow going.  I wasn't tooo concerned til my car read 32 degrees and the roads started getting slushy!!! Yikes! Yes, I was talking to the Lord through all of this.  It took me 3 hours to get to Victoria, which it usually only takes 1.5 hours.  Finally things let up and I got to Corpus some 5 hours later...no, I don't ever plan to drive through a small snow storm again!

I spent Friday at a little Craft Bazaar at a lady's house, showing my sisters' necklaces.  I also got to go see some of my favorite girls in a homeschool play.  Then I met my parents for my favorite meal in CC!  After dinner, my sister Kristy & her 3 kids had driven in, so we all met at the house. 

Saturday, we woke up and my mom made pancakes because that is mine & Ashlyn's fave and it was for both of our birthdays.  We both got a few gifts and then my sister went back to the Bazaar, while my mom & I hung out with her kids! Man, I love those kids!  I also went back to the Bazaar and got to hang out with some old friends. I was supposed to leave town late afternoon, but instead decided that I would just wake up early and drive back Sunday morning in time for church.  Worst. decision. I've made in a looooong time!

I ended up not going to bed til almost 1:00am, and couldn't fall asleep.  The last time I remember looking at the clock was 2:30, when I had to get up at 4:30, that's right, I got 2 hours of sleep and then had to wake up and drive over 3 hours back to Houston.  The drive back was almost as bad as the 5 hour drive there! I was so tired that I felt sick to my stomache...you know the feeling?  I had to stop every hour just to wake myself up and move around, which is not my norm, I usually hate stopping, but this time it wasn't an option!  I could barely keep my eyes open.  I didn't get to take a nap til about 2pm that afternoon, and even after that nap, I woke up with a headache and was still sick feeling...ugh.  I nursed myself on Sprite, crackers and soup.  Thankfully after a good night's sleep I woke up on Monday, my birthday!!! feeling human again!

Next post: birthday festivities!

Random thought/fact of the day: I only have Blake & Bradley left to shop for in my family!!!! Best shape I've ever been in for gifts for my family! Woohoo!

No comments :