Sunday, March 19, 2006

...my wonderful fam...

Most of you are aware that I left town on Thursday afternoon and headed to Temple for the weekend. Thursday night was good, Friday we shopped (which is always hectic with all my sisters and niece and nephews, but fun), then Saturday we lounged and got ready for Brady's party which was at 3. It was a bowling party and Brady loved it. You may think I'm biased, but I really do have the most precious niece and nephews (I'll post a pic from the party when I get a chance). So last night after the party we hung out at the house and got some dinner and I decided that in stead of driving late at night, that I'd wake up around 6:00 and get on the road today, Sunday, in time to make it to church by 9:00.

This is where the excitement comes in. I got on the road aound 6:45. It was raining and the roads were slick so I was being careful. I love my cruise control, but somebody told me you're not supposed to use cruise control in the rain, so I didn't even try it. I had been on the road for about 45 mins and we veering off at a fork in the road and my car hydroplained and kept going straight in stead of following the road. Of course I tried to over compensate, but nothing would make my car turn. I had no control. At that point my car jumped the curb and came to a jolting stop. Thank goodness I was fine, but very shaken up. I had no clue what kind of damage had been done to my car. I immediately called my mom. We decided I would get out of my car and see what the damage was and if I thought I could move it. So I did. PRAISE THE LORD, there was no exterior damage that I could see. So I got back in my car and slowly tried to see if I could move it. NOPERS! She as good and stuck, straddling the curb. Drivers side was in the mud and grass, passengers side on the road. So with tears running down my face I walked to a very nearby Shell station. Oh, did I mention that I was practically in the middle of no where and this just happened to happen 50 yards from a gas station!! Again, praise the Lord! Also, if my car had kept going it would have landed in a low ditch and possibly hit a light pole that was only about 10 ft away, again, Praise the Lord for His protection!!

I know this is getting long, but hang with me.

So, I get to the shell station and the lady was very nice. She even said she would call the tow truck people for me. So as she is on the phone with the people, 2 men (one in his 60s the other in his 30s) and a 12 yr old boy overhear what is happening and say, "Is that your car down the road?" I said yes, that it was stuck on the curb. They said, "Oh, you'll never get a town truck out here this early on a Sunday morning, we got a tractor, we can get you out." Again, Praise the Lord. He sent these men to help me at just the right time.

So off we go. They get their tractor and some chains and pull my car a little bit. Then decide that the broken up concrete was going to hurt the underneath of my car, so they start chunking these massive pieces of curb into the ditch. Then before you know it, they were able to drive my car right back onto the road!! NO APPARENT DAMAGE DONE!!! So I drive it around to a near by parking lot, they look underneath it and say just to be careful of anything leaking out from under, like the oil or something.

In the mean time, my sister Kristy had driven down from Waco to Temple to go take care of the kiddos so that Katy and my mom could drive to come meet me. About an hour later Katy and my mom got to where I was. My mom drove me in my car the rest of the way back to Houston and right now my dad is on his way to Houston to pick up my mom. Is that confusing enough for you? Basically the only person in my family that didn't do something involved with this fiasco was Kelly, and that's cause she was in Dallas! What a day! Again, I'm fine and my car appears to be fine, PRAISE THE LORD! I'm just so thankful for those men!! See, there are good hearted people out there!

Super Duper: A family that pulls together to take care of me!
Super Pooper: Have to turn in a paper tomorrow that is nowhere what it needs to be...

2 comments :

Rebecca said...

K-babe! We are all so very happy that God and your family took such good care of you! Hope today has been less exciting. :)

claymonster said...

Kasey,

Very glad to hear you (and your car) are OK. It's nice when God can send your family as an earthly reminder that He's got your back!