Monday, January 22, 2007

...i'm trying to post more often...

i'm not sure why. partially because i am always excited to see new posts from my friends. let's see, what happened to me today. Oh, I know. Give me your honest feed back, here's the anecdote:

I walk into a room where we are about to have a meeting only to find that the lights won't turn on. There are several (3 or 4) ppl right behind me. I tell them that the lights won't turn on and that we should use a different room. The head Administrative minister a the church (my boss' boss) tells me to just turn on the lights. I look at him and say, "I tried, they won't turn on. Are you doubting my competence to turn on the lights?" Then they all started laughing at me and making fun of me for using the word competence. They start saying, "Did you say, 'doubting my incompetence?' 'We are fully aware of your incompetence' 'You are obviously not competent' etc etc. Seriously this went on for several minutes. I was okay with a few quick stabs, but it went on and on... :( I started feeling really dumb.

So my question to you is, was what I said really that funny? They said that "competence" isn't a word. You can have incompetence, and be competent, but you can't have competence...hmmm.

I looked this up, here's webster's definition of competence: the quality of being competent; adequacy; possession of required skill, knowledge, qualification, or capacity.

So it is a word, ha! I guess I accepted the fact a long time ago that I'm easy to poke fun at!

Super Duper: my sister & bro-in-law get back from Africa tomorrow!!!
Super Pooper: I REALLY wanted to go to hip hop tonight, but neither of my hip hop friends replied to my email, so I didn't go...

2 comments :

Kristy said...

I am trying to post more often too. It's hard when you don't really have a lot to say!

claymonster said...

I'm a little shocked that anyone thought that "competence" wasn't a word... errr, "incompetence" would mean "lack of, or the opposite of, competence". That's just non compos mentis.

And I fully back your competence to turn on a light switch.

Maybe I should go post something myself... perhaps a post called "One Lump or Two?"