Sunday, December 16, 2007

...the joy of giving...

sometimes it is easy to get overwhelmed with the number of presents still to buy, what to buy, stay in your budget, don't forget someone, hope they'll like it, etc, etc, etc.

I was beginning to get frustrated, not knowing what to get a lot of people in my family. That is by far the hardest part for me!!! I am so intent on wanting the person to like it. Well, yesterday I went shopping, and knocked some major people out!!! I'm soooooo excited!!!! And the best part is, I'm excited about what I got them, not just the fact that I bought them something. I refuse to buy someone something just to have something to put under the tree for them. Everything I bought yesterday, I feel really good about. Which makes giving the gifts sooooo fun! I just can't wait for them to open it, and to see the look on their face.

I was thinking about this, that Christmas to most Americans is about giving and receiving gifts, and at best some might say enjoying giving a gift. But why is this the heart of Christmas? Christmas is in celebration of the birth of Christ! I've always wondered, do we give gifts because:
  1. Jesus is God's gift to us, so we are remembering this gift by giving gifts to others.
  2. It's Jesus' birthday, so we give gifts as if celebrating someone's birthday.
  3. Just like the wise men brought gifts when they came to see the King, we too give gifts?
  4. All of the above?

Honestly, I don't know! But what I do know, is that His birth was miraculous in every way! And I love celebrating that by giving gifts to show my friends and family that I love them, and even more that I love Jesus, and God for giving us Jesus.

Sorry, this was going somewhere. What I was going to point out, is that to me, it is the most fun to watch people open a gift that I'm really excited about giving, even if it was more than I planned on spending. As I thought about this, I think this is like God. Of course on that night in Bethlehem, God gave us His Son, but equally as amazing, Jesus gave His life some 33 years later. Both the birth and death of Christ are a gift. A gift that God must have been sooo excited to give us! Of course, it was hard, and the price was high for the Father and the Son, but the benefit of us accepting the gift of Christ as our Savior, must be amazing! The joy that God receives when we receive His Son as the best gift of all!!! I bet he can't wait to see our faces when we open this gift He has for each of us!!!

Our God is amazing! So often I take Him for granted and argue with Him, or ask Him why or how or when! But in this Christmas season, I'm going to try and just sit and enjoy His gift, His Son, a beautiful babe that ultimately brought me salvation...He paid the highest price, and I gained the highest reward, eternal life with the Father in Heaven!

Super Duper: another day off tomorrow since the offices are still being set up!

Super Pooper: eating waaaay tooo much with all the Christmas parties & dinners

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

I'm sure this was a great post, were I to have been able to actually read it in Google Reader!