Friday, February 02, 2007

...when did i become a woman???

I still don't refer to myself as a woman. But people keep telling me I qualify for the title. But what I want to know is, when did I "earn" this title and what did I do to deserve it?

I mean, when I was at Baylor I know I wasn't a woman, no one referred to me as a woman. The average female in college (age 18-22) wouldn't be referred to as a woman. So that narrows it down. It must have happened some time in the past 2 years, since I graduated.

But you see, it seems to me that there should be a specific event that deems you a woman. You know, some people may say getting married makes you a woman. But I think of many girls that get married young, and don't necessarily qualify as a "woman." So then does it have to do anything with having sex? You know, how guys say having sex makes them a "man." Well is the same true for girls? If so, then I don't qualify by that standard.

So far there isn't any one event/date/action that makes someone suddenly a woman, as far as I can see. People tell me that it has something to do with the fact that I have a job, salary, stability. That I support myself, have an apartment, make a car payment, etc, these are the types of things that make me a "woman."

Who knows? Is it the stroke of turning 24? Is that a magical age that makes a girl into a woman? I sure didn't feel anything significantly different just by starting my 24th year of life.

All I know is that I'm going on the Women's Ministry Retreat this weekend, and it kind of freaks me out that I qualify as a woman. It's just weird how I subtly moved into this category and still have not clue when or how it happened. And may I add that if I could keep it from happening, I just might. Just like their isn't anything that makes me a woman, so far I haven't found any benefits to being one either. Let me know if there is some benefit that I'm missing out on!

Super Duper: Having Friday off!!!
Super Pooper: lots of cleaning to do at my apt!

1 comment :

claymonster said...

In all seriousness (rare for me, I know), there are other cultures and religions that DO have a moment, a ceremony, a rite of passage... it's something that we're missing as American Christians.
So, who knows when that moment really is with no tradition to give you a day to look forward to all of your life. Without that special day for which to prepare throughout childhood, it's up to individual families to create a day for a rite of passage. Sadly, few have such a tradition. This goes for boys becoming men as well as girls becoming women. The bit about having sex "making one a man" is a dangerous lie that has no doubt started many down a wildly wrong path. In this, girls benefit from a double standard that doesn't necessarily attach sexual activity to maturity (although, sadly, that seems to be changing).

By the way, while I don't know what, exactly, defines 'the moment'... I'd say you're all woman. Even if you're still a goof.

Who loves ya!!